Farscape - Season 4 - Episode 20
Farscape - 4x20 - We're So Screwed Part II: Hot To Katratzi - Originally Aired: 2003-2-25
Moya's crew travels to Katratzi, a Scarran base where Scorpius is being tortured for wormhole information. The base is home to both Kalish and Charrid forces - underlings for the Scarrans. The crew plans to incite a confrontation between these two contingents, hoping this diversion will allow them to free Scorpius, and prevent wormhole knowledge from falling into Scarran hands. [DVD]
0, not filler, do not skip this episode.
- Numerous major long term plot threads are serviced here.
- Scorpius being interrogated by Ahkna.
- John walking right into the negotiations between the Scarrans and the Peacekeepers (represented by Grayza) and bringing a thermonuclear bomb with him.
- John demanding large sums of cash for his wormhole knowledge.
- John recognizing the flower that the Scarrans eat as one from Earth.
- Ahkna employing Stark to torture Scorpius for the Scarrans.
- John: "Guys, listen up. One riot, well done, hold the mayo, now."
- John to the Scarran emperor: "Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows, how you gonna guarantee my safety?"
- John asking Aeryn to kill Scorpius as soon as he was sure Scorpius did not reveal any information to the Scarrans.
- John abruptly changing his mind about killing Scorpius.
- Rygel: "Now, Crichton! Leave now! And never doubt your dominar again!"
- Scorpius betraying John just as they were about to escape together, putting the bomb at serious risk of exploding.
Now we've come full circle from Nerve, with Scorpius being tortured for wormhole information. By Stark no less! Stark's cameo is an odd one. How did the Scarrans find him? How did they know he would enjoy a run at torturing Scorpius? I suppose knowing these details isn't terribly important but they were ringing in my head since the moment he showed up on screen. I'd also like to know why he grew out his hair. It ain't a good look on you, old Starky boy! In any case this episode is fraught with interesting tidbits here and there.
It's revealed in this episode that Sikozu is actually a bioloid herself, like the fake Aeryn. On top of that, the Scarrans are revealed to enjoy a flower commonly found on Earth called Strelitzia. Though enjoy seems to be an understatement. They've got a whole underground compound dedicated to growing the stuff and an army to protect it. The significance of this remains to be seen, but it's certainly fascinating that there's some kind of a link between the Scarrans and Earth. Scorpius of course is the man of the hour. Is he really a spy for the Scarrans? I find that exceedingly hard to believe.
On top of that, no matter whose side he's on, it's rather incredible he's managed to be a double agent for so long. Aside from John's delightfully amusing negotiations with the Peacekeepers and Scarrans, probably the best moment of the episode is John toying with killing Scorpius. Did John really want to kill Scorpy? Did Harvey stop him from doing it? Or were John's actions all a ruse to see if Scorpius broke under interrogation? For once I don't care about the answer. I love the ambiguity. On the whole another outstanding episode. The threats, the games of chicken, the double crosses. It's all so entertaining.
The following are comments submitted by my readers.
- From DK on 2012-08-07 at 7:49pm:
Why does daddy Scarren have boobies? Staleek is wearing the biggest bra (bro?) I've ever seen. That is, of course, if one can be worn riveted to the outside of his emperor suit.
John and Aeryn make one of the best on-screen pairs since Fred and Ginger, or even Ginger and Mary Ann. They also seem to get better and more comfortable with one another as the series goes along. Makes every story much stronger.